“Disclaimer: These are not chicken wings. Instead, they’re the vegetable equivalent of an oatmeal raisin cookie that you thought was chocolate chip. ONLY BETTER” – my friend Kylie.
Thank you, Kylie for the laugh! Seriously, we all know nothing can replace our beloved chicken wings but these buffalo cauliflower bites are about as close as it gets!
This paleo breading and buffalo sauce transforms these little nuggets into an addicting snack, side dish, or appetizer. Even my husband who is a strict meat guy LOVES these and will order them anytime we see them on a restaurant menu.
I breaded my cauliflower for this recipe, but feel free to just use baked cauliflower without the breading. I also used a baking rack placed on top of a baking sheet to ensure even baking, but this would work just as well with the baking sheet alone. Lastly, you could really use any kind of hot sauce you like. My favorite is Frank’s Red Hot Original because it is Whole30 compliant without any added sugar or other weird ingredients.
Lastly, and arguably most importantly — the dipping sauce. Ranch (duh). I don’t have an official recipe for you yet, but I make an easy dairy-free ranch by mixing 1/2 cup coconut milk; 1/4 cup homemade mayo; 1 tsp of garlic, onion powder, shredded carrot, fresh fill, and fresh chives; juice of 1/2 lemon; and salt and pepper to taste. Or use a store bought one like Primal Kitchen’s Ranch which is squeaky clean.
Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you make it and how you like it!
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- 1 small head of cauliflower (or 1/2 of a large head)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1.5 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original (Whole30 approved!)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Trim head of cauliflower. Remove stem and cut into small bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, almond flour, and tapioca flower together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place a 4-5 cauliflower bites in the bowl at a time and coat well with the egg/almond flour/tapioca flour mixture. Tap off the excess batter then transfer to a baking sheet.Tip: This works best with a baking rack placed on top of a baking sheet (see photo above), but a baking sheet lined with parchment paper would suffice.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buffalo sauce. In a small sauce pan combine Frank’s Red Hot Original and ghee on medium heat until it comes to a boil then remove from heat.
- Transfer baked cauliflower to a bowl. Add buffalo sauce to the bowl with the cauliflower. Toss to coat.
- Serve with my dairy-free ranch dressing.