Why does buffalo sauce taste so good on… well, everything? Including these buffalo chicken spaghetti squash boats! They’re spicy, full of veggies, and easy to make in bulk to meal prep.
I spent the afternoon meal prepping my breakfasts and lunches for the next few days of work. Now, I sit here drinking a glass of wine and binge watching Dexter on Netflix (I know I’m late to the Dexter party), and it feels so good to go into the next 3 days with all of my meals ready to go. I work long 10.5 hour days, not including a 45 minute commute each way, and where my next meal is coming from is the last thing I want to worry about.
My #1 tip for meal prepping is to survey your fridge first. Take note of all the leftovers or potential ingredients you currently have so that you can incorporate those into your meal planning and avoid waste. So thats what I did this morning. Among other things, I had pulled chicken, buffalo sauce, purple onions, limes, and celery so I immediately knew some sort of buffalo chicken dish was in my future. All I had to buy was the spaghetti squash and some garnish.
Spaghetti squash is beyond easy to prepare. You could use the oven method, but since I’m meal prepping I wanted to limit my cooking time and opted for the Instant Pot instead. Spaghetti squash literally cooks in 4 minutes in the Instant Pot!
I had a large 3 lb container of pulled chicken that I bought from Sam’s Club, but a rotisserie chicken would also work great here. No cooking required!
All that is left to do is tossing the chicken in the buffalo sauce, dicing up the onion and celery, and assemble! Drizzle with extra buffalo sauce and ranch dressing and garnish with avocado and cilantro. Easy peasy.
Let me know how you like it!
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Orinigal (extra for drizzle)
- 4 tbsp Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Following your Instant Pot’s instructions, pressure cook the spaghetti squash for 4-6 minutes. (I found that 4 minutes was plenty for a small spaghetti squash.)
- While that cooks, mix the chicken with the buffalo sauce, celery, and onion.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, remove from the Instant Pot and let cool. Shred the squash with a fork. Place in shredded squash in a separate bowl. Toss in salt & pepper to taste.
- Place the spaghetti squash shells in your meal prep container (or on a plate). Fill the shell with the shredded squash. Top with the buffalo chicken mixture.
- Drizzle with extra buffalo sauce and 1 tbsp of ranch per boat.
- Garnish each with chopped avocado and celery.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the spaghetti squash in half. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake open side up for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the squash, until easily shredded with a fork.