If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been on this Mexican flavors kick lately. Can you blame me? I love the spice, flavors, and ingredients that are used in Mexican recipes. These grilled stuffed red peppers were another creation from such ingredients that I typically have on hand. They satisfy Luke’s need to throw something, anything, on the grill (I don’t know, I think it’s a man thing?) and are packed with protein and low carb veggies. The red peppers serve as a perfect little vessel to hold in all of the ingredients.
I used ground beef in this recipe but feel free to sub any ground meat or even pulled pork or chicken would work great. I get grass-fed ground beef delivered to me from ButcherBox – which I highly recommend if you don’t have a local source of high quality, grass-fed beef.
I also try to sneak in bone broth to my recipes anywhere I can! I make my own bone broth so it is loaded with nutrients and collagen. Additionally, the liquid from the both broth helps bind all of the ingredients together. Feel free to use any type of broth instead. Whatever you have on hand!
Try to find the biggest red peppers you can! Each pepper needs to hold about 1/3 lb of ground beef so you need a good sized half pepper. If you can’t find large ones, grab a few extra just in case. Try to trim the stems without removing too much of the pepper. You want to keep the pepper in as much of a bowl shape as possible so the stuffing doesn’t fall out.
These stuffed red peppers meal prep really well! Since you can easily make a big batch at once, they’re perfect to prepare for dinner with plenty of leftovers to take to lunch over the next few days.
If you’re on the Mexican flavors train with me right now, try these out and let me know how it goes! Enjoy!
Grilled Stuffed Red Peppers
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 large red bell peppers halved, seeds removed
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cooking fat
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- While the grill comes to temperature, heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add in chopped celery, onions, and carrots. Cook 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir for another 30 seconds. Remove from pan and place aside in a bowl.
- Add ground beef to pan and cook 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add in bone broth and taco seasoning. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. Add veggies back in along with the fresh thyme and cumin. Stir until well incorporated.
- Spoon equal amounts of ground beef mixture into each half of a red bell pepper.
- Place stuffed bell peppers on the grill for about 10-12 minutes or until peppers are slightly soft and grill marks have formed.
- Remove peppers from the grill. Garnish with chopped romaine lettuce and chopped avocado.
By the way, if you want to receive monthly paleo recipes to your email inbox, drop your email address below!