These Instant Pot pork shanks are easier and quicker than traditional methods. They are fall-off-the-bone, savory, and hearty. Best of all, this recipe is made with super clean ingredients and husband-approved!
I’ve been looking for different ways to use my new Instant Pot (thanks hubby for my Christmas gift!) and when I came across these pork shanks at our local butcher I knew I had to create something with them! I haven’t tried this with lamb or veal shanks, but I’m sure they would work just as well if you can’t find pork shanks.
As a disclaimer, this will still require some time (about an hour). I know, I know… this blog is supposed to be about quick and easy. But hear me out. This is one of those things that once you start the Instant Pot, you now have 40 minutes of free time to do other things while it cooks. Watch a Netflix episode, clean the dishes, take a shower… you do you!
As the shanks cook, the bone marrow from the bones slowly seeps out and creates the most delicious and buttery sauce and the mushrooms just soak it up. It’s so goooood!
If making these for meal prep, I would remove the bone and shred before storing and re-heating.
Serve over mashed cauliflower or potatoes and enjoy!!
Instant Pot Pork Shanks
- 2 pork shanks
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 medium purple onion
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp arrow root power dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- S&P to taste
- Prepare the veggies. Roughly chop the onion. Rinse & dry the mushrooms and cut into quarters.
- Turn on Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add 1 tbsp avocado oil. While that heats up, prepare pork shanks by cutting off any excess fat and patting dry. Sprinkle salt on the pork.
- Add avocado oil to the Instant Pot. Cook pork shanks on each side for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove from Instant Pot.
- Pour in the onion and mushrooms. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to onions and mushrooms. Sauté for another minute.
- Add the can of tomato sauce and stir.
- Place the pork shanks back in the Instant Pot, submerging them in the tomato sauce and vegetables.
- Switch the Instant Pot over to pressure cook mode. Lock the lid in place and ensure the steam release handle is in the sealed position. Set to cook for 40 minutes and let it go!
- 40 minutes later… allow the pressure to release. Remove the Instant Pot lid and remove the pork shanks. Remove the bay leaf. Add the arrow root powder/water mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or cauliflower. Pour the sauce over top of the shanks and garnish with parsley.