We had so much fun this past weekend celebrating Mardi Gras in Mobile! It was the first time Luke or I had ever been to a Mardi Gras ball and it was a blast! The parade floats are unreal, the ball was extravagant, and it is safe to say that eating healthy was not my first priority and there was LOTS of champagne. So after an indulgent weekend I’m looking forward to getting back to my usual routine.
I have a long work week ahead of me and and wanted to ensure I had healthy meals ready to go for work. We made pulled pork in the Instant Pot for dinner Sunday night and thought I could use the leftovers to meal prep taco bowls — one of my favorite things to meal prep!
Cauliflower rice serves as a great low carb base for taco bowls, but it lacks flavor and by itself can be pretty bland. Since I was going for a Mexican theme, I added cilantro and lime to transform the rice into a flavorful fiesta.
The grocery store where I shop carries pre-riced cauliflower, but its so easy to make yourself in a food processor (instructions included below). I just lightly cook the cauliflower because I will reheat it at work and want it to still have a slight crunch and not be overcooked.
For the taco bowl, I used pulled pork but any protein would work (shredded chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, skirt steak, etc.). Add any additional veggies you want. I had grape tomatoes and onion on hand so that’s what I used and added them in raw. Lastly, I topped with avocado or guac (non-substitutable!) and sliced jalapeños.
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (1 large head of cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- salt & pepper to taste
- To make the cauliflower rice, trim off the inedible base of the stem and discard. Cut off the florets and chop the edible portion of the stem into smaller pieces. Place into a food processor and pulse until rice sized.
- Heat avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add cauliflower rice. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Zest the lime over the rice then squeeze in the juice of the whole lime.
- Add cilantro, salt, and pepper and mix well.