Pumpkin spice is the secret ingredient in this slow cooker sweet potato chili that makes it so fragrant and soul warming. As it cooks it fills the house with pumpkin spice aroma and just screams fall! Best of all, it is full of healthy ingredients and is paleo and whole30 compliant!
I make this chili for dinner for myself and my husband and save the leftovers for work lunches. I usually am able to get 6 meals out of it (8 if I limit how much my husband is allowed to have!). It would also freeze great for future consumption!
I’ve also made this for a large crowd because it is so easy to throw together in the afternoon and by dinner time it is ready to eat with minimal preparation and clean up.
I like to allow the chili to slow cook for a while and add the bell pepper and onion towards the end so that they don’t become too mushy, but you could throw all of the ingredients in at the same time for simplicity and just let it go.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, use a large pot over the stove. Instructions for stove top cooking below!
Most importantly… toppings! The options are endless — cilantro, chopped green onion, avocado, sliced jalapeño for a touch of heat, sautéed mushrooms, roasted okra, sour cream of shredded cheese (if you eat diary, not paleo or whole30!), parsley, diced purple onion, etc. Go crazy. You do you.
Hope you enjoy!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 cups bone broth
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large sweet potato cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup red or green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup purple onion diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- salt & pepper to taste
Optional topping ideas:
- green onion
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- sauteed mushroms
- roasted okra
- sour cream
- Brown the ground beef using the sautee mode on your slow cooker.
- Switch to slow cooker mode on high. Add crushed tomatoes, 1 cup bone broth, sweet potato, chili powder, pumpkin spice, salt and pepper to the slow cooker with the ground beef.
- Slow cook for about an hour or until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Add in red bell pepper and onion. Continue to slow cook 30 minutes to an hour. If continued slow cooking is desired, switch over to "low" or "keep warm" mode on your slow cooker. Add extra 1 cup of bone broth if needed to create desired thickness.
- Serve with optional toppings.