These tacos breakfast bowls are protein-packed, full of veggies, and perfect for week-day meal prep. It combines two of my favorite things (tacos and breakfast) into one delicious bowl of goodness. They are paleo, whole30 compliant, and low carb.
Since I have a long 45 minute commute to work, I often find myself minimizing my “get ready” time in the morning. I usually just throw on clothes, make coffee, and I’m out the door. This practice has led to a less than optimal breakfast routine on days that I’m working (usually just coffee and a late morning snack).
I decided that I need to make more of an effort to give myself some nutrition in the morning. I’m also hoping this will help to increase my protein intake, which has been failing recently.
These taco breakfast bowls are high in protein and packed with veggies for some extra micronutrients. They are low in carb, but full of healthy fats to keep me full until lunch.
I used ground beef for these bowls but ground turkey would also work well if you prefer a lower calorie option. For the veggies, I chose onions and bell peppers because they’re reminiscent of tacos for me, but use whatever veggies you have on hand! If you’re #teamcarbs, sweet potatoes would be delicious! Top with avocado, cilantro and salsa and enjoy!
Taco Breakfast Bowl
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 eggs
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1/2 small purple onion
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 cup beef broth or bone broth
- 1 avocado
- 8 tbsp salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Roughly chop bell peppers and onion. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat, add veggies, and sauté for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add ground beef to pan and cook thoroughly (~6-7 minutes) while breaking the meat into smaller pieces. Add taco seasoning and broth and continue to cook until liquid is almost gone (~3-4 additional minutes).
- Whisk 4 eggs using a fork in a small bowl. Make a small “nest” in the middle of the ground beef. Add the other 1/2 of the oil and then add the eggs.
- Continuously stir the eggs in the “nest” until almost completely scrambled then mix the eggs with the beef.
- Add back in the sautéed vegetables and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro, sliced avocado, and salsa.